Wiki Posts
Search

"Walk" policy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2021, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC, VAFC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
"Walk" policy

Here's something that I don't think I'll easily find out about, and I'm wondering what the collective wisdom here thinks.

I had a booking at the HGI at (BHX) Birmingham Airport for an activity I am doing with my son near the NEC. I booked the HGI because I'm on the MVP status challenge and this was to be my final qualifying stay for Gold.

The Hilton Metropole is being used as a quarantine hotel.

I've just received an email from the front desk at the HGI now, advising that they too are to become a quarantine hotel and will now be unavailable at the time of my stay, and offering me relocation at no extra cost to the Novotel.

To be honest, I'd be more than happy with this swap, If it weren't for loyalty, I'd choose Novotel over HGI for the same price anyway, but I'm really keen to get my gold status.

I've asked the hotel to clarify whether I get the stay credit or not, but I'm wondering whether there's any sort of policy or precedent for this sort of thing, to help my negotiations along.

What do you reckon, is it totally out of the question?
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:40 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
The policy is the HH T&Cs and for those you need to stay to earn any stay credit. Whether the hotel can do anything to address that will be up to them, but as they are closed, it is unlikely to be an easy fix unfortunately. You have done the right thing in asking them though.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
It's not ideal as I know you value the location near the NEC but as it's located a short train journey from New Street have you considered booking the Hampton or HGI in the city centre as an alternative to ensure you get the credit?

(It is also worth checking to see if they're run by the same management company as the airport HGI, as they may be able to transfer your reservation there)
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:51 am
Original Poster

I've asked, and they've offered to book me into the DT at the Ricoh Arena in Coventry instead, and taxi me to the airport, but to be fair to everyone it's not worth that level of faffing about for a stay credit.

I'll speak to my son this afternoon and see if he fancies the Novotel, or whether I can now save a few quid and go to the Arden or the Ibis Styles, hopefully saving enough that I can do a one-night mattress stay in the Hampton up the road from me...
Schwann likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DeeGee26.2
I've asked, and they've offered to book me into the DT at the Ricoh Arena in Coventry instead, and taxi me to the airport, but to be fair to everyone it's not worth that level of faffing about for a stay credit.

I'll speak to my son this afternoon and see if he fancies the Novotel, or whether I can now save a few quid and go to the Arden or the Ibis Styles, hopefully saving enough that I can do a one-night mattress stay in the Hampton up the road from me...
That actually sounds quite generous!
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schwann
It's not ideal as I know you value the location near the NEC but as it's located a short train journey from New Street have you considered booking the Hampton or HGI in the city centre as an alternative to ensure you get the credit?

(It is also worth checking to see if they're run by the same management company as the airport HGI, as they may be able to transfer your reservation there)
I have had a look, and I will speak to my lad about the Hampton, to see if he fancies a change of scenery. We've stayed at the Airport a few times now and he might prefer the variety.

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Hilton Garden Inn's Brand Standards (603.06.A - "Relocation Requirements - Guaranteed Reservations") require:

If the hotel cannot honor any confirmed or guaranteed reservation, the hotel must make a special effort to find suitable accommodations at another Brand hotel. However, if there are no Brand hotel accommodations in the area suitable to the guest, the employee must offer to find other suitable accommodations within the Hilton Portfolio of Brands. If there are no other hotels available, suitable accommodations for the guest should be secured.
and goes on to detail that the hotel must pay for first nights room and tax, transportation, and any other "necessary expense incurred by the change"

And 701.03.D ("Member Relocation and Recovery"), while parroting substantially all of the language in 603.06 also includes

2. The hotel must complete the “Reservations Emergency Stay Credit” form online via The Source to provide the member proper Points & Miles, stay credit, and applicable bonuses for the eligible stay they would have consumed.
If you were a Diamond member 701.02.D.4 raises some interesting additional benefits (including a cash "inconvenience" payout), but given the nature of the situation it would hardly seem sporting to try to claim them (and it's not clear if OP is a Diamond)
FoRM likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schwann
That actually sounds quite generous!
Yes, I thought so too. Nothing about cabbing me back and forth all day long, though, so I've let them keep that one. I'm not too annoyed as it's not entirely their fault.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
If you were a Diamond member 701.02.D.4 raises some interesting additional benefits, but given the nature of the situation it would hardly seem sporting to try to claim them (and it's not clear if OP is a Diamond)
Not a Diamond. Nowhere near!

I asked, no dice, I don't want to play hardball and it's the excuse I need to have another night away, maybe even without the family!
Old Jun 22, 2021, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Normally a "walk" is defined by the guest learning upon arrival that, despite a reservation, no room is available in the hotel.

If OP is notified and relocated in advance, it's not a walk and HH walk policies don't apply, although there might be other policies that would be applicable.
DiverDave, writerguyfl and Cymro like this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 9:49 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Normally a "walk" is defined by the guest learning upon arrival that, despite a reservation, no room is available in the hotel.

If OP is notified and relocated in advance, it's not a walk and HH walk policies don't apply, although there might be other policies that would be applicable.
I agree that typically a "walk" is a day of arrival occurrence but the Brand Standards make no such distinction and actually classifies it as a "relocation" ("If the hotel cannot honor any confirmed or guaranteed reservation, ...") and other aspects of the Standards seem to contemplate this (e.g. for Diamonds "The relocation and all pertinent information must be reported to Guest Assistance as soon as possible and no later than one hour after the actual relocation. If possible, communication should take place in advance of the relocation")

It seems clear to me that the hotel is unable to honor the confirmed/guaranteed reservation so the relocation policy would apply. Of course we're in what's hopefully the tail end of "rules are changing by the day, everything is force majeure, and we'll roll with what we got"-times
Old Jun 23, 2021, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks all, I've decided to roll with it. The boy's got no interest in hotel loyalty and his opinion about what constitutes a good hotel differs from mine (although he's happy when I book us into something half-swanky)

I made the error of letting him choose what to do, and he's decided that he likes the idea of the ibis Styles! To be fair, it is a somewhat shorter walk to where we need to be, and I can use the money I've saved from downgrading hotel (although I'm guessing ibis Styles is a step up from standard ibis, so a bit like a Hampton?) to get a cheap Hampton stay before my 90 days is up and get my qualification.

The monorail at BHX isn't operational at the moment, otherwise we'd have been in the Novotel.

Now to find a cheap Hampton somewhere that isn't Luton...
Old Jun 23, 2021, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have my own tale

EDI DT has chosen to extend its quarantine contract with the Scottish government to the end of August, of course they say it like Widow Krankie has used her non-existent powers to commandeer the hotel

I had a cash reservation for July. The hotel told me they wouldn't be able to honour it and they could try to find me alternative accommodation. I advised I was loyal to Hilton and would consider the Carlton or City DT.

Despite both being Amaris, the Carlton (which is a crap show right now anyway) won't take the reservation but they would see what the DT could do which is a hotel managed by a different firm

Here's the best bit

Apparently they called the Diamond desk and along with them, it was decided the EDI DT would issue 20k goodwill HH and they booked for me the DT City using MY OWN POINTS "because points are free and you save money"

That's right. Allegedly, the Diamond desk and the Hotel agreed with each other that its perfectly fine to make a reservation using my totally free and worthless points, topping it up to the tune of 20k with 40k coming from my account. I was flabbergasted that either party though they were doing me a favour and made a reservation, without asking me first.

The reservation was not even setup like the old one, without the additional guest name and was booked for only 1 pax, not 2.

What's wrong these people?

It's generous to offer $100 worth of points but you're doing my no favours dipping into my account, without my permission, I think its appalling
Old Jun 23, 2021, 8:40 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Holy hell hugolover - I'm genuinely lost for words on this one. Like you, I'd be flabbergasted by this one. So many things to consider here, starting with why they thought it was ok, through to whether there are any data breaches by accessing your account without permission and making a booking with points without permission. I'm still shaking my head after read this.

Are you in discussion with Hilton about this as a follow-up?
Old Jun 23, 2021, 9:34 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by DeeGee26.2
Thanks all, I've decided to roll with it. The boy's got no interest in hotel loyalty and his opinion about what constitutes a good hotel differs from mine (although he's happy when I book us into something half-swanky)

I made the error of letting him choose what to do, and he's decided that he likes the idea of the ibis Styles! To be fair, it is a somewhat shorter walk to where we need to be, and I can use the money I've saved from downgrading hotel (although I'm guessing ibis Styles is a step up from standard ibis, so a bit like a Hampton?) to get a cheap Hampton stay before my 90 days is up and get my qualification.

The monorail at BHX isn't operational at the moment, otherwise we'd have been in the Novotel.

Now to find a cheap Hampton somewhere that isn't Luton...
Hampton Corby!……. Always cheap, free parking, steak and a pint for around £10 in the pub next to it…..cheap little mattresses run.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.