Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

I miss the welcome amenity points

Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB

I did 66 nights in about 25 stays this year. There were some Hyatt Places in there (because that is all Hyatt has in Richmond).

With Glob/Diamond welcome amenity points, it would be 21,500 points that could be flexibly used for hotels at any category level.

SPG/Marriott still do welcome points, and I'm hoping the new leadership here brings that back.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I miss them too.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Instead of 21,500 points you earned a free night at a Category 1-4 and another 1-7 free night. I know the haters don't like the 4-month window for those certs, but it's not like we received a lump of coal.

I miss the amenity too, especially at the cheapskate hotels that never offered anything. But in several nicer hotels I still get the same bottle of wine, fruit, chocolates whatever that I used to get as a Diamond.
jchiguy1 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Instead of 21,500 points you earned a free night at a Category 1-4 and another 1-7 free night. I know the haters don't like the 4-month window for those certs, but it's not like we received a lump of coal.

I miss the amenity too, especially at the cheapskate hotels that never offered anything. But in several nicer hotels I still get the same bottle of wine, fruit, chocolates whatever that I used to get as a Diamond.
My experience is the same - rec'd full-size bottle of wine (Latitude 33...not bad) at GH - Sao Paulo.
No wine - but full fruit tray & chocolate "bundle" at PH - Zurich
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by craigthemif

Not exactly a lump of coal, but there is a grand total of one Category 4 hotel that would fit my travel patterns and benefit from a free night. The Cat 1-7 obviously fits more places, but I'm going to need to go out of my way to use it within the 4-month window.

I'd happily give those up for 20k+ points that I could use within my normal travel patterns.

There is no way we'll even see the numbers, but I have to assume the number of Globalist stays at HP/HH dropped a fair amount this year without the benefit of the welcome points.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:24 am

Yup and my cat 4 night is about to expire and I will struggle to get good use out of the 7. That is the intent of course. Yes, they did replace it with something of value, but a fraction of the previous value. Given the 60 night requirement, lack of awards counting, and the insanely ludicrous 4 month expiry, the nights are worth a small amount compared to points.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There's been an overall decrease in points earning opportunities under WoH - the welcome amenity, the lounge closure comp, and the lack of promos.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
There's been an overall decrease in points earning opportunities under WoH - the welcome amenity, the lounge closure comp, and the lack of promos.
Not paying cash for Hyatt stays has been the biggest reason for my decrease in points earning. Finishing up my 106th night with SPG plus a few with Marriott so I still earned lots of points. Looking forward to my last Hyatt stay next month to use up the rest of my points. Unless things radically change, I wont miss Hyatt.
Kacee likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I miss the welcome amenity points too, as well as the "pick a beverage from column A and a food treat from column B" welcome amenity.

The problems with the free night certs include the following:

Four month expiration, which is especially bad for those who cannot time their 60th night to occur as late in the calendar year as possible

Can't use TSUs with the free night certs

No elite qualifying nights with the free night certs, including any PAID nights adjacent to the free night
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
120 day expiration is now 180 days ; at least for 2018 certs.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: Globallist
We need a recession

unfortunately housing is going straight up from here, never will pause again.

Political climate is is too stable.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by rwm818
My experience is the same - rec'd full-size bottle of wine (Latitude 33...not bad) at GH - Sao Paulo.
No wine - but full fruit tray & chocolate "bundle" at PH - Zurich
My stay at GH DFW (ongoing) came with a bottle of wine and a tray of sweet and savory snacks delivered to my room 30 minutes after check in. Is there a thread for Globalist Experiences - Welcome Amenity?? It would be nice to document properties that do this sort of thing.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:13 pm

i always took the food and beverage amenity. and more often than not also got the 1000 points.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt GP Diamond
Agreed- its made a significant dent in points earnings for many - it's roughly equivalent to points earnings for a $150 rate for a single night stay. The 2500 point bonus for lounge closure was even better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.